The ethos of Orchard House underpins the aims of our school and runs through every aspect of school life.
In the course of their daily work, all members of the school community contribute to the development of this ethos by:
- Providing a child-centred, forward-looking educational philosophy
- Treating each child as an individual and nurturing their own individuality
- Valuing all members of the school and wider community equally, showing mutual respect and concern for others
- The provision of a friendly and welcoming environment, in which courtesy, kindness, respect and teamwork are fostered
- Valuing and celebrating success and achievement, in all spheres
- Cultivating a culture to help instil resilience and perseverance.
Every Child Learns Differently
At Orchard House School, we want to ensure that every child can soar.
Accordingly, we embrace different teaching methods, including Montessori (for younger children), kinaesthetic, oral, tactile, and visual.
The scope to cherry-pick from these various methods, combined with small class sizes, allows us to tailor our teaching approach to each individual child. Our children benefit from being in an environment where girls and boys learn from each other.
After all, life is co-ed. This dynamic is particularly beneficial when we set children challenging tasks, or encourage them to work (and play) in teams. Importantly, they are taught mistakes are not failures, but a positive sign they are trying. Their efforts will always be encouraged, regardless of the outcome.